Wednesday 21 September 2011

Pearl Jam: Twenty

I don't do cinema. Until this year, the last time was The Bourne Ultimatum back in 2007. In 2011, I've been twice.

First was for Senna. There was no way I was going to miss out on seeing that. It was the first time I've heard grown men cry in a cinema since Bambi (yes, I did go to see it and all I remember is some bloke bawling).

This week - Pearl Jam Twenty. Been a massive fan since my student grunge days: Ten is etched on my heart. It's a great fan film, shit-tons of old footage and some revealing moments. Truth be told, the first half-hour or so has its difficult moments, especially when Chris Cornell is talking about the death of Andy Wood. But the shit that Stone Gossard - the man who doesn't stash band keepsakes - finds in his cellar had everyone in the place rolling.

Watching the film, two things struck me.

Both films use archive footage and talking heads.

Both films are about flawed genius.

And so both go onto my DVD wishlist for Chrimble.

As for the music - it made me realise that, for some unbelievable reason, I don't own a copy of Eddie Vedder's Ukulele Songs. Given that's the instrument I'm murdering at the moment, it's a huge oversight. Time to go put that right and start practising.

By Unknown with No comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment