Friday 6 January 2012

365 Reasons To Be Proud To Be British: The Stones roll



January 6th: The Rolling Stones play the first gig of their first headline tour.

Which, according to the Rolling Stones database of Nico Zentgraf was at the Granada Theatre, Harrow-on-the-Hill. And the possible set was Girls/Come On/Mona/You Better Move On/Roll Over Beethoven/I Wanna Be Your Man. And their impact on me was significant.

My Dad is a Stones fan. Some of my earliest memories are listening to the Stones. And not playing with the zip on the Sticky Fingers album. And never wondering why it was called Sticky Fingers. I was probably too busy playing with Some Girls, making the faces change.

He catalogued all the tracks on all the albums into a notebook. A-Z by track, noting on which album, side and track number it could be found. I instantly warmed to this value-added approach to a hobby.

And I've been cataloguing, indexing, cross-referencing and appending ever since.

And I've been dreaming that I can play drums like Charlie Watts ever since.

And I'm still tickled by the fact that I love a band that first headline gigged four years before I was born.



Photo borrowed from LondonJazz, which I try not to read too often as it makes me insanely jealous about what I'm missing.

By Unknown with No comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment